Father Thomas Delaney was born in Blackpool on 9th November 1934.

.

After attending Sacred Heart School, Hindley Green, Wigan, he went on to study for the priesthood at Upholland College, where he was ordained on 27th May 1961.

.

His first appointment was at Our Lady & St. Bernard's, Liverpool, where he served until 1969, before moving on to St. Columba's, Huyton.

.

.

In 1973 he was transferred to St. Mary's, Chorley, where he remained until 1976, when he tool up an appointment at the national headquarters of the Young Christian Workers, based in London. He was also an active member of the Family Social Action Group.

.

He returned to the Liverpool Archdiocese in 1981 to become Parish Priest of Our Lady Immaculate, Everton, and, subsequently, in 1984, he was appointed Parish Priest here at St. Jude's.

.

From the outset, Father Tom's concern for the sick and the housebound was most evident and he worked unstintingly on their behalf. Also, equally evident, was his deep devotion to Our Lady. In fact, on the day of his sudden death, on 1st June 1989, he had just returned from a pilgrimage to Lourdes.

.

A most devout and religious man, his sad loss was devastating to those of us who knew him well.

.

In August 1990, in his memory, a Synthetic Bell System was installed at St. Jude's, which rings automatically each day for the Angelus, and also for the Sunday Masses.

 

St. Jude's Archive