REV FR RICHARD LAWRENCE TOBIN

 

Father Richard L Tobin, the founder of St. Jude's, was born in Thurles, County Tipperary in 1904, and was educated at St. Patrick's, Thurles. He was ordained on 10th June 1929, at Thurles Cathedral.

His first appointment was to St. Joseph's, Grosvenor Street, Liverpool, where he was a much-loved curate, well-known for his sense of humour and for his caring attitude.

. .

In 1940, during the Second World War, he was appointed Chaplain with the 8th Army in the Western Desert, where he witnessed much fighting, suffering and hardship.

. .

After the War, in 1946, he was appointed Parish Priest at St. Brigid's, Liverpool, where he rebuilt the church, which had been bombed during the hostilities. From 1951 to 1956 he was Parish Priest at St. Cecilia's, Tuebrook, Liverpool, where he built a new presbytery, and where, again, he was known for his zest of life and friendliness. From 1956 to 1957, he served as curate at St. Bartholomew's, Rainhill, Liverpool, before taking over as Parish Priest there until 1959.

.

In 1959, he came to St. Joseph's, Wigan, and organised the establishment and building of the new parish and church of St. Jude, which was officially opened in 1965. By the beginning of February 1967, the Presbytery and the Social Club were in use.

.

It is likely that all the hard work and financial worry of building two churches finally took their toll, and, in 1968, Father Tobin suffered a heart attack. Typical of the man, hardly any of the parishioners knew how ill he was. He carried on working as hard as ever, until 22nd December 1976, when he suffered another coronary attack that proved fatal.

.
 
Other articles in St. Joseph's Archive that refer to Father Tobin:
 

"Last Mass - October 1995"

St. Jude's Archive